Jo Ellen Buffie - Member (Board Member Bio)

The following information is taken verbatim from the MDSPT website. I’m including it on this site as a point of reference in case information should change in the future.

Jo Ellen Buffie - MSDPT School Board MemberContact Information:
7550 Singleton Street
Indianapolis, IN 46227
Phone: 317-882-7740
E-mail: jbuffie@aol.com

Biographical Information:
As a parent of four children, former special education teacher and active school, church and community volunteer, Jo Ellen is able to bring experience in each of these areas to her position for the seventh year as a member of the MSD Perry Township School Board. Jo Ellen is the Perry Township representative to the Central Nine Career Center Governing Board, currently serving her second year as president. She is also on the Strategic Planning and Technology Committees.

Mrs. Buffie is married to Bill, a physician with Indiana Internal Medicine Consultants, and mother to Sean, a graduate of IUPUI; Sarah, a graduate of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio; Claire, a junior at Ball State, and Hannah, a freshman at Purdue.

Statement of Purpose:
I feel my involvement in numerous committees and positions in our educational system over the past 21 years at the school and township level has reinforced my awareness of the diverse educational needs of our students. Helping to guide our educators and community to provide the best opportunities for our young people to succeed continues to be my priority as a member of the Perry Township School Board.

10 Responses to “Jo Ellen Buffie - Member (Board Member Bio)”

1. 1 Joe Mamma Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:05 am

I’m really trying to keep an open mind about you, but you are making it very hard.

2. 2 refalconmom Nov 15th, 2006 at 8:54 pm

Thanks for trying to bring some dignity to the disaster, Jo Ellen.

3. 3 Perry Teacher Nov 16th, 2006 at 11:37 pm

Jo Ellen,
    You have earned the respect of EVERYONE in this mess. Even those that do not support Williams have stated that you are a class act and represent our Twp. with grace and dignity.
    Thank you for standing strong for Perry families. Please continue to do so in regard to support of Dr. Williams. He is our leader. Nothing against Mr. Nichols, but we teachers will continue to think of Doug Williams as our leader.

4. 4 Barb Sponsel Nov 17th, 2006 at 6:36 pm

Wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you and all that you have done for Perry Township. You truly have showed grace and style during the last weeks of turmoil for our township. Needless to say, I’m very disturbed to see what other board members are saying and doing. I’ve always been very proud to be a Perry Township resident and, as you know, have worked hard to promote our schools. Please know I am totally behind Dr. Williams. Please stay strong and know that many, many people are behind you. Just wanted to say hello and let you know my thoughts and prayers are with you, Gayle and Steve. If I can do anything to help, please call me at 788-0663. Take care and God bless.

5. 5 Former PMHS Student Nov 18th, 2006 at 2:05 pm

I am so glad someone with many years of experience on the School Board can keep her stance on what she feels is right. It is absurd that the public are in support of keeping Dr. Williams, and yet just because a few board members have personal issues with him, his position is in jeapordy. Throughout my experience (K through 12) with Perry education I have been please with Dr. Williams and his decisions. I was especially happy when he chose to stand by the students in the whole Ragtime controversy. Maybe sometime soon, the board will realize what they are doing and who they should be listening to instead. Thank you Mrs. Buffie!

6. 6 The Owens Nov 18th, 2006 at 10:14 pm

I appreciate your taking the time to talk about the situation with us at Spell Bowl on Thursday. We know you are working for what’s best for our schools and our kids. Thank you!

7. 7 Beth Shipley Nov 20th, 2006 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for showing how mature, educated professionals should behave. Know that you have many who are behind you. God bless!

8. 8 Perry Resident Nov 25th, 2006 at 11:57 pm

Thank you, Mrs. Buffie for representing our Twp. so well. I do support Dr. Williams and hope that we in Perry do not lose him …. but I must add that going to the last several board meetings, has made me a supporter of you, as well. Keep up the good work !

9. 9 Don't Let Them Set the Terms Dec 6th, 2006 at 10:32 pm

Jo Ellen,
    Please do NOT agree to mediation with the four other board members WITHOUT the inclusion of Dr. Williams. This is obviously what they want but it makes no sense. It seems to me that their problems are with Williams. You, Steve, and Gayle would be just playing into their hands to attempt mediation without the superintendent, in my opinion.
    My thoughts are with you as you continue to work through the mess these four board members have made.

10. 10 Patrick Duke Dec 19th, 2006 at 1:45 pm

As a former Perry student K-12 I have seen what Dr. Williams has done for the Township. I am now living out of state but I am keeping up with all of this sticky business. I hope you and the other members will stay strong in your support of Dr. Williams, and hopefully you get some comfort in knowing that myself and my family will support your vote.